Activities & Attractions
The Nelson region is unique for its’ incredible diversity of scenery, wide selection of active outdoor activities and the wide range of arts, craft, food and wineries on offer.Warwick House has several fabulous short walks starting from its doorstep.
Major Nelson Outdoor Activities
- Spectacular day and 1/2 day hikes around the city
- The Saturday market: Nelson has the best outdoor market in the country, a real ‘must’ for weekend visitors
- Abel Tasman and Kahurangi National Parks
- Center of New Zealand 1 ½ hour loop walk from Warwick House – spectacular views of the whole area.
- Abel Tasman National Park, Kahurangi National Park and the Nelson Lakes National Park
- Fabulous beaches: Tahunanui, Kaiteriteri or Rabbit Island
- Sea kayaking in/ around Abel Tasman
- Trout fishing in the wild Kahurangi rivers
- Mountain biking trails along the rivers and in the hills around Nelson City
- Sailing charters in Tasman and Golden Bay
- Sky diving in Motueka
- Caving in the Takaka hills
- Salmon farm fishing at Anatoki
Other popular activities include
- Nelson Lakes – day trips and walks.
- fishing and hiking- Rainbow Skifield – just over 1 hour from Nelson
- Deep Sea fishing – Seabird charters run regular trips (advance bookings needed).
- Paddleboard hire from the main beach at Tahunanui
- Kitesurfing – 2 hire companies
- Paragliding, Land sailing (Blokarting), Nelson has an excellent track and hire school.
- Helicopter flights
- Farewell Spit Tours
- Vintage Car rallies
Nelson Craft and Cultural
- The Suter Gallery
- Nelson Provincial Museum
- Founders Historic Park
- Nelson Arts Festival
- The summer Jazz festival
- Opera in the Park
- Community Threatre
- WOW, World of Wearable Arts +Vintage Cars
- Hoglunds spectacular art glass
- Nelson Potters
Day and 1/2 day tours to Abel Tasman, Golden Bay and around wineries and artists galleries are very easy to arrange.